Kalita Brew Guide
Mastering your Kalita recipe in the kitchen lets you brew the perfect cup wherever your morning starts. The following recipe is what we are using in the lab.
You will need:
• Place a filter in the Kalita dripper.
• Use hot water to fully saturate the filter and preheat your dripper and mug in the process. Discard the rinse water.
• Add your coffee grounds (20 grams)
• Tap the sides of the Kalita to get the grind bed to lie flat in the filter
• Tare your scale
• Your water should be just under boiling (200°F - 205°F)
• Start timer as you start your pour
• Pour 60g of water and fully saturate the grounds. Your coffee is blooming. Wait :30 - :45 seconds
• Pour 200g of water by using a spiral pour that starts in the center and circles to the edges. This pour should take :15 seconds.
• For :60 seconds, pour in short pulses followed by pauses, creating a consistent water level and ground color. Pulse and pause until your scale reads 350 grams.
• Remove the dripper.